This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance. 1hr(s)
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Use a patient-centered, non-authoritarian, collaborative approach to establish a therapeutic alliance with a patient who needs to make a health behavior change.
- Use communication skills from motivational interviewing to work collaboratively with patients to identify a specific health behavior change goal as the focus during the counseling session.
- Identify a patient’s current readiness to change a health behavior problem and select the appropriate steps and skills of motivational interviewing to use based on that level of readiness.
- Evoke participation by patients in exploring their motivations, ambivalence, or resistance to making a health behavior change.
- Apply motivational interviewing techniques in collaborative planning with patients to address substance use or other health problems.
- Adapt motivational interviewing skills to medical settings.
Modules in this Training Activity
Audience and Accreditation
Audience: Health care professionals
|NYS OASAS||1 hr(s)||4/6/17||4/5/20|
|AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™||1hr(s)||12/3/18||12/3/21|
Accreditation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
State Medical Board of Ohio Accreditation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. is recognized by the State Medical Board of Ohio as an accredited provider of continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 hour of AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NYS OASAS Credit Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 hour of NYS OASAS credit. Providers and other health professionals should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NBCC Credit Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of 1 clock hour of NBCC credit. Clinical Tools, Inc. has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6161. Activities that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Clinical Tools is solely responsible for all aspects of the activity.
A letter of completion for up to 1 hour(s) is available for non-physicians.
A score of 70% on the post-test is required to complete the activity.
Initial development of this activity was supported by a grant from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (#R44HL65885)