This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance, Patient Outcome. 4 hr(s)
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Select and utilize tobacco, alcohol, and drug use screening tools with patients.
- Perform brief interventions for tobacco and substance use problems with patients.
- To utilize basic motivational interviewing techniques to motivate people having substance use problems to change behaviors in order to improve health.
- Refer patients to the appropriate type of substance abuse treatment center and/or specialist
- Follow-up with and reassess patients who receive treatment for substance abuse or tobacco use
- Apply the SBIRT approach to substance use problems at a comprehensive and integrated level by individualizing screening, brief interventions, and referral for different patients.
Modules in this Training Activity
Audience and Accreditation
Audience: Primary care providers and counselors
|AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™
Accreditation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ Designation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NBCC Credit Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of 4 clock hour(s) of NBCC credit. Clinical Tools, Inc. has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6161. Activities that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Clinical Tools is solely responsible for all aspects of the activity.
A letter of completion for 4 hours is available for non-physicians.
A score of 70% on the post-test is required to complete the activity.
Initial development of this activity was supported by a contract from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (#HHSN271200800038C).