This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance, Patient Outcome. 4hr(s)
Goal: The learner will be able to appropriately screen for and identify substance abuse, plan and implement a tailored brief intervention, and will apply the SBI approach to substance abuse problems by individualizing these clinical skills to different patients. The learner will be able to improve care management and referral skills for patients with relatively more severe substance use problems and improve follow-up and brief treatment skills for patients with substance use problems. The learner will apply all SBIRT clinical skills learned in several simulated cases with a variety of substance use problems.
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Select and utilize tobacco, alcohol, and drug use screening tools with patients.
- Perform brief interventions for tobacco and substance use problems with patients.
- To utilize basic motivational interviewing techniques to motivate people having substance use problems to change behaviors in order to improve health.
- Refer patients to the appropriate type of substance abuse treatment center and/or specialist
- Follow-up with and reassess patients who receive treatment for substance abuse or tobacco use
- Apply the SBIRT approach to substance use problems at a comprehensive and integrated level by individualizing screening, brief interventions, and referral for different patients.