This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance, Patient Outcome. 2hr(s)
Goal: The learner will be able to screen for tobacco use in adolescent and adult patients, provide basic motivational and behavioral tobacco interventions for patients who are not ready to quit tobacco and for patients who are ready to quit tobacco use, provide pharmacological interventions, and provide follow-up after providing tobacco interventions. Additionally, the learner will practice and integrate tobacco intervention clinical skills learned in the program.
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Screen patients for tobacco use
- Provide brief counseling interventions for patients who are not ready to quit tobacco and for patients who are ready to quit
- Use motivational interviewing skills when providing tobacco interventions
- Recommend or prescribe pharmacological interventions for patients who are quitting tobacco use
- Follow up appropriately after providing tobacco interventions and intervene for relapse prevention
Modules in this Training Activity
- Nursing Tobacco Interventions — Part I
- Nursing Tobacco Interventions — Part II
Audience and Accreditation
Audience: Primary care providers and counselors
Letter of Completion: A letter of completion for up to 2 hour(s) is available for non-physicians.
A score of 70% on the post-test is required to complete the activity.
Initial development of this activity was supported by a contract from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (#HHSN271200800038C), a grant from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (#HHSN271200800038C).